View Single Post
Old 20-05-2021, 17:14   #10510
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
A projection not grounded in any economic theory whatsoever.

If football fans will migrate to any package, at any price, surely Sky would just continue to price gouge them?

There comes a breaking point due to the basic principles of supply and demand.
I didn’t say ‘at any price’. I’m not sure where your figures are coming from - they are highly suspect IMHO.

---------- Post added at 16:59 ---------- Previous post was at 16:56 ----------

Quote:

Aha! Once again you see streaming as a distinct market from television as a whole. The same basic principles you discussed above - fans follow the football wherever it will go - would apply to a standalone football channel on satellite, cable, digital terrestrial and dare I say it even streaming.

The cost of operating a channel on this basis is truly buttons compared to the £5bn cost of the rights.

Yes, we are talking about the likelihood or otherwise of streamers entering the market for EPL. Of course the audience will follow the footie no matter how it is delivered. I never said otherwise.

---------- Post added at 17:02 ---------- Previous post was at 16:59 ----------

Quote:
This time next year we will be millionaires, Rodney
Typical of you to scoff instead of actually addressing the point. A similar point to the one made by Andrew, incidentally.

---------- Post added at 17:05 ---------- Previous post was at 17:02 ----------

Quote:

If by "a few failures" you mean literally everyone else to have entered the market to date.
Yes. But the fact that they failed doesn’t mean that any operator would fail.

Sky can make it work, proving that it is possible if you know what you’re doing.

---------- Post added at 17:10 ---------- Previous post was at 17:05 ----------

Quote:

I'd contest that it is you that seems to think that streamers have some magical quality whereby the basics of economics do not apply to them.

Sky judged the market perfectly in 2019, and the EPL are running scared they would do the same in 2022.
No, I don’t. What, you’re a mind reader as well as an alleged economist now, are you?

Despite your repeated claim that the delayed auction was nothing to do with the uncertainties arising from COVID, that is precisely the reason given in the application to the government, which was accepted. You may think you know better, but you really don’t.

---------- Post added at 17:14 ---------- Previous post was at 17:10 ----------

Quote:
Why would a rational customer in the marketplace subscribe to a bundle with Sky Sports if they don't want Sky Sports?

If someone doesn't want all the other tosh, but it wants Sky Sports they can buy Now TV. A streaming product from Sky.
That’s not an argument I made.