View Single Post
Old 19-05-2021, 23:34   #10501
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
We, what about the subscriptions football fans are currently paying to Sky Sports and BT Sports?? That was one of your easier questions to answer!

Consider that circle squared!
So easy on paper, for your fictional, hypothetical deep pocket streamer.

However in the real world they’d need 5 million subscribers to switch on day one. Is the EPL that popular on it’s own? Probably not. Not 12 months of the year anyway.

Suddenly they are either putting their hands back in their pockets for more rights or having to recover the costs over 10 months. Six million subscribers at a higher price point than Sky Sports.

As the forum resident economist I have to say I side with all the bean counters at actual streamers and decide that’s not the best use of funds.

Every day losing money from Day 1 is a day less than 3 years to recover within the rights window.

I’ve said before if the EPL are genuine about trying to drum up interest a five or ten year rights window gives a new entrant more time to build their business model. If it were truly that easy to move Sky’s customer base someone would have done it. Years ago.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote