View Single Post
Old 02-07-2018, 19:03   #29
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Re: Metallica ROCK ON!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I agree....I went and found your link

http://web.archive.org/web/200403252...sier/id374/pg1

I dont know why they cared that people were sharing MP3s,THEY SOUND LIKE CRAP!!!!!! -- Why did they care?? (Digital is crappy compared to analogue so why bother trying to stop it??)

I like that they stayed 100% ANALOGUE on all thier 80s records!!!!! (They used 1/2" tape and nothing digital in the chain)

Its sad more bands didnt do this...... ITS HARD FINDING GOOD ANALOGUE SOUND from the 80s on!!! (Well late 70s it starts)
Ulrich wasn't really complaining about the medium, more the act of people redistributing unauthorised copies of copyrighted material. People could have been and probably were distributing uncompressed copies of the songs. Unfortunately for the recording industry that was the beginning of the end, not to mention the end of the revenue streams for a lot of coke dealers.

Regards the mp3 format: The harsh reality is that the original mastering of the track which the mp3 was created from is probably just as crap and overloaded with compression vis-a-vis "the loudness war" where the soul and the dynamic range is bled out of the original recording at the behest of some suit in the record company.

Analogue recording is not a panacea for anything, in fact tape is a pretty awful medium with which to preserve a performance so you really do need to know your onions to create something remotely pleasant sounding. Really good recording engineers were (and still are) coveted and expensive to hire.

Having said that you cannot abuse an analogue master in the way that some engineers do when working for CD or digital media: You simply cannot push the dynamics or the stereo width or the acetate simply will not press properly. This creates a comfort zone which, to many, is warm and pleasing to the ear. In other words it creates the illusion that vinyl is better than digital etc. etc.

However: If you want to hear a very, very bad vinyl mix/master then listen to the original pressing of "And Justice for All". Rumour has it that Cliff Burton's bass is in the mix somewhere!
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote