View Single Post
Old 25-06-2018, 16:51   #3210
Chloé Palmas
Inactive

Services: Sky HD (2 TB / 1.5 TB MultiRoom) Sky Fiber Max
Chloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation eraChloé Palmas has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Brexit discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, the idea of having NI become a member of the WTO in its own right and then choosing to mirror the EU customs regime was an idea put forward by Lamy, not me. The acceptable solution, no doubt, will be found from bringing together ideas from different solutions that are put forward. There are ideas out there - they just need to be brought together into something that is acceptable.
Oh sure, I am not denying that something can be worked out if there is some give (from either the UK or EU) but specifically, why would May give on WTO membership for NI (standalone) when she wouldn't if it was EU CU alignment? If one effects UK sovereignty then the other certainly does.

You can't have it both ways, if one isn't an issue neither is the other. If one is an issue / problem then they both are, for the same reason, in both scenarios.

Quote:
To my mind, the 'maximum facilitation' idea that has been put forward by the UK has considerable merit.
Fine, but that still involves some tariffs and barriers along with fees - if not then the UK must accept membership into the CU, which means that trade deals are done as a collective.

If not, then friction-less trade is a no go.