View Single Post
Old 01-02-2021, 15:02   #6702
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Moans and Pet Hates part 8

Bit of a moan here, although it had a happy ending..

I've been trying to upgrade Microsoft's Windows Assessment and Deployment Toolkit on my machine, as one of my responsibilities at work is maintaining one of our Windows Deployments, and this toolkit contains the utilities used for that.

My moan is this. It requires that you uninstall the old version before upgrading, or even downloading, the new one. You have to uninstall the old version because when you download the new version, the download you get is a utility that is used to download and install the new version. It won't even run if you have ANY version of the ADK installed.

Bit annoying, but the uninstall for the old version was failing when it tried to uninstall one of the tools, and reversing the uninstall when it failed.

looking at the error code, it apparently means there was a permission problem meaning the installer didn't have access to something it needed to change. Unfortunately, the logs I had available just said the error occured. They didn't have any details of what the installer was trying to access.

Then, today, I ran the uninstall, with slightly changed logging options. It ran fine.

The plus side is I now have an up to date version of the software on my machine. The downside is because Microsoft decided to write an uninstaller that told me there was problem with the uninstall without telling where that problem was, I've spent ages trying to fix a problem that should have taken a few minutes.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote