View Single Post
Old 20-12-2019, 19:00   #1
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
BBC licence fee to be reviewed by Conservatives

Well, it looks as though it is finally happening. The new Conservative Government is so angry with the Beeb over left wing bias by BBC interviewers and the flagship Radio 4 'Today' programme that it has indicated it is now prepared to consider scrapping the licence fee.

I suspect that this will be difficult (but not impossible) to achieve, mainly because anyone with older TV sets will not be able to 'unlock' the channels with a subscription, which appears to be the favoured means of achieving this change. The same problem is not presented for customers with a Sky, VM, BT or Talk Talk TV subscription or those with access to Freeview Play, etc. So this move will not be popular with pensioners, many of whom will not be able to afford to buy new equipment.

Radio will be a bigger problem, as most radio users will be able to continue to have free access to all their favourite radio stations, whether they subscribe or not.

I am an advocate of scrapping the licence fee to replace the current licence fee model, but I was not expecting this to be accomplished until the 2030s. I cannot see how they can implement this over the short term without upsetting rather a lot of people.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how this problem will be overcome?
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote