View Single Post
Old 24-12-2016, 12:29   #9
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Rogue One SPOILER thread

Saw it last night. Totally blown away.

CGI Tarkin was brilliant. If you didn't know Peter Cushing could only be there by CGI I don't believe you'd suspect it for a second. For that reason CGI Leia was surprising, because she was notably not as good. Still, she was only on screen for about 5 seconds so no harm done.

I haven't followed the production of the film in any great detail so I wasn't disappointed by any of the altered/missing scenes. I had no preconceptions or prior expectations. Taking the film on that basis, I believe it formed a consistent, well-edited whole.

I think there were a few too many nods to the original. I found this a little jarring after a while. Perhaps this is because I've watched Star Wars (1977) far too many times so things that are meant to be subtle references stand out a mile for me. Even so, it was nice to see the man who has the death sentence on 12 systems, and the dude whose mouth looks like an enormous pair of bum cheeks.

At the end, I found the "everybody dies" approach extraordinarily powerful. Essentially what this film does is give a backstory to a bunch of redshirts. It acknowledges that there are more heroes in a war than the few we are normally encouraged to think of as the main characters, and many of them don't live to see the end of the story. I found Jin's speech to the troops aboard Rogue One to be very powerful. The whole set-up, from costume design onwards, evoked a scene from one of those World War 2 impossible mission films, with a squad of battered GIs about to rush headlong into certain death.

And the ending ... amazing. Truly spectacular. By the last 5 minutes you're watching a scene that could easily have been cut from Star Wars. What I really want to do now is sit down and watch Rogue One and Star Wars back to back.

I left the cinema last night an extremely happy bunny indeed.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote