View Single Post
Old 09-12-2020, 13:01   #357
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Virgin TV 360 users (Horizon)

Channels have been removed from the Liberate based V boxes for customers over the time, either by technology changes or specific activity.

The main change has been the move of channels to MPEG4 which means only a Samsung V+ box or a V HD box would be able to decode them. A TV Drive installed on the customer network will not pick up anything - even if it could still see the channel listing.

Sky Cinema and Sports channels were also specifically removed and accounts updated to stop V boxes receiving them, again alongside their move to MPEG4.

For any Samsung V+ or V HD boxes that remain installed, all paid channels will no longer be authorised on the Smartcards. So at most they'd be able to see BBC One to Channel 5, but likely with some warning messages on screen too.

The V box decommissioning didn't start until many years after the launch of TiVo and V6, and it took literally years of activity to get customers to swap for different reasons. Only at the very end of the activity in 2018 to early 2019 was there a forced migration for remaining customers with a V box.

https://www.cableforum.uk/board/show...php?t=33706401

I see no reason why any migration of customers from TiVo/V6 won't be managed in the same way - starting with all new TV customers (whether brand new or with other existing cable service) now being 360 only.

So TiVo/V6 isn't going away anytime soon, nor will anyone be migrated without a clear understanding of when and why.

Last edited by BenMcr; 09-12-2020 at 13:07.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote