View Single Post
Old 26-08-2019, 14:05   #1030
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post

With the end result people paying far more.

A Now TV Cinema pass subscriber can get it for £11.99 normal or even less if they shop around for passes and 3/6 month deals.

Under this new world you'll need a Sky sub (Universal) , HBO Max (Warner) , Disney + (Disney) plus whatever the likes of Paramount and Sony decide to do.

Good luck at getting that in anyway near a tenner and there are many who like to watch movies from across the studios.
Each streaming service will offer a wealth of programming and will be good value for money.

I don't buy the argument that everyone will be obliged to subscribe to every streaming service imaginable. That would be a waste of money because even if you spent every waking hour watching TV, you would never be able to make much headway in getting through all that content.

I understand what you are saying about some people wishing to watch films from different studios. However, most people I would suggest would achieve that by switching streamers periodically. There are no contracts locking you in, and so it will be pretty easy to do this.

I dare say there will also be free versions of many of these streamers, funded by advertising, in the fullness of time. There seems to be a large sector of the population who would not mind sitting through unskippable advertisements, particularly if they are targeted.

Needless to say, I am not one of them. I have just taken up a YouTube Music subscription, and it is such a relief not to have these commercials interrupting everything.

---------- Post added at 14:03 ---------- Previous post was at 13:59 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
I didn't say the platform was untested, I said the business model was. It remains to be seen whether Disney retailing direct to consumers makes more profit than their wholesale distribution models.

---------- Post added at 12:17 ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 ----------

Hmm.

No, because not every business is a success, failure is a possibility. Some may find themselves coming cap in hand to existing platforms or other streaming services to bundle their content.

The perfect example of this is Eleven Sports / La Liga. They believed a market was there for a product that simply wasn't.
There might be a market for it, but not having a platform like Sky or Virgin to broadcast from, they were sunk.

---------- Post added at 14:05 ---------- Previous post was at 14:03 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post

Hmm.

No, because not every business is a success, failure is a possibility. Some may find themselves coming cap in hand to existing platforms or other streaming services to bundle their content.

The perfect example of this is Eleven Sports / La Liga. They believed a market was there for a product that simply wasn't.
There might be a market for it, but not having a platform like Sky or Virgin to broadcast from, they were sunk.