Thread: Brexit (Old)
View Single Post
Old 21-11-2018, 18:11   #3528
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
I smell something cynical. Recalling that TM said that there may be no Brexit at all if her deal was rejected by Parliament, I think she knows that an amendment to the Bill that would be debated as part of the meaningful vote would be the calling of a second Referendum.

To my mind, the only questions on the Referendum should then be deal or no deal (not remain or leave which is the rat I smell). We had the remain/leave referendum in 2016.

If it came to another referendum, I agree that should be the choice of question, Seph.

I am against the idea only because this drags everything out even further. Whatever the result, there would still be endless arguments about it, as we have found the first time around.

We need to get on with it now so that our businesses can prepare.

---------- Post added at 18:11 ---------- Previous post was at 18:04 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
The Guardian are reporting that triggering Aricle 50 is an executive function, not a Parliamentary one, so therefore the Prime Minister can on behalf of the Government (the institution, not the party) suspend Article 50.

It then follows that if the European Court of Justice advises the Court of Session that a Government is within it’s legislative competence to unilaterally withdraw Article 50 it wouldn’t require Parliamentary approval at all.

She’d be toast, but arguably she already is, and any future Government of any party would have to start from scratch triggering Article 50.
I don't think Theresa May will be toast. As that Sunday Times article shows, the public is coming around to appreciating all the hard work she's been putting into this despite multiple obstacles and objections being thrown at her from all sides.

I am disappointed that she is now threatening a 'no Brexit', although I do think she has done that to make the Eurosceptics threatening to vote the deal down think again. If the Parliamentary arithmetic does not work out on the day of the vote, and for whatever reason the idea that we just drop out of the EU on 29 March 2019 cannot stand, then, and only then, would I agree to put a 'deal or no deal' referendum to the people.