View Single Post
Old 18-03-2008, 09:39   #1357
manxminx
Inactive

Services: All VM cable: V+, 20Meg Broadband, XL phone
manxminx is on a distinguished roadmanxminx is on a distinguished road
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
There is still a route of action which we can follow. There have been a number of posts to this thread suggesting the use of Firefox and Adblock Plus.
Quote:
When doing this, please bear in mind that a lot of websites (like cableforum) are entirely funded by ads
So what is the official cableforum line on using ad blocking software? You would obviously prefer that we didn't? As I've said before, I didn't know that cableforum had adverts, as I've never seen any. Should you not make it clear when people join that you would prefer them to turn off any adblocking software?

You surely want people to click on the ads, as it gains income for you, yet you are against Phorm which says it would deliver more targeted and relevant adverts!

So at the end of the day, what would you rather have - Cableforum showing irrelevant ads to its users (waste of time and space), or Cableforum showing relevant ads, thereby increasing your income? Exactly how much income does cableforum gain from advert clickthroughs? Have you thought about making Cableforum ad-free and asking for donations instead? Hows about getting relevant companies to sponsor you in return for their ads being hard-coded into the forums? Will cableforum be signing up to Phorm? If not, why not, after all, wouldn't relevant ads be better for both you and us than non-relevant ones? If you are against Phorm because you value your users privacy then why are these forums viewable by everyone instead of just members only? What is cable forums policy on allowing Phorm type software to intercept data relating to Cable forum?

Not trying to be nasty here, just trying to find out what the views of the owners of Cableforum are, and how you intend to safeguard our data . . .

On a side note, http://finance.google.co.uk/finance?q=phorm makes for fascinating viewing, far better than any TV prog!