View Single Post
Old 29-02-2008, 23:09   #332
lucevans
Inactive

lucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of lightlucevans is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77 & 102]

Quote:
Originally Posted by none View Post
just read this - http://www.badphorm.co.uk/e107_plugi...ewtopic.php?19

Response from Virginmedia
[i]I am sorry that the information that we are going to start using phorm
has worried you, here is some information to help give you a better
understading in regards to what this is.

A safer experience

<snip>

A more relevant browsing experience

<snip>

Protecting customers' privacy

<snip>
what a load of old toot, all under the guise of A safer experience ... pleeeeassseeeeee someone pass me the sick bucket!!!!!!!

How unbelievably patronizing! This response reads like something written for the benefit of a five-year-old!

-We KNOW what the real agenda is here (selling commercially-valuable private data on your customers)...

-We don't WANT it dressed-up as a benevolent act of kindness ("A safer experience") - I for one want to take responsibilty for my OWN security on the web thank you very much - I understand what Phishing is, and I can decide whether a website is dodgy or not for myself.

-How dare YOU decide what is a more "relevant" web experience for ME: I never read adverts and I'm certainly not going to start now. For future reference: ALL advertising is irrelevant to this user. Got it? If I had my way, every website would be ad-free like bbc.co.uk

-We DON'T trust your assertions about our privacy in this system. We have no way to verify them, and NEITHER DO YOU once you've passed our private data to somebody else.

-You are deliberately MISLEADING customers when you state "Customers won't be forced to take up Webwise, so they'll be able to keep their internet experience as it is now." Most people reading this sentence will take it to mean that if they opt-out then you will not pass any browsing data about them on to Phorm. However, "Webwise" is only the system that alerts users to phishing sites and pushes targeted adverts at the user - the browsing surveillance part of the system is called "Open Internet Exchange" (OIX), and you are not saying that customers won't be forced to take up OIX, are you?

A safer experience my Arrse.

And that bit at the bottom is depressing - "working to offer the solution and pleased to be offering it soon" - makes it sound imminent and certain....

-