View Single Post
Old 27-08-2020, 20:31   #3309
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I wonder what Scotland would do with defence.

In a way they could spend hardly anything because they know their security is also of concern to the security of the remainder of the United Kingdom. Would they stay part of NATO? I know the corridor of water that sits above them is deemed as important for NATO. If they were part of NATO they would have to pay for some defence but the SNP can play to their base by disassociating themselves from the British military.

I suspect they would attempt to trade their acceptance of NATO and maybe keep trident in return for something else. However with all their pandering about nuclear weapons it's going to be a hard sell for the SNP to have an independent Scotland keep nuclear weapons, remain in NATO and pay 3% GDP for the privilege.
There are many ways of agreeing to Scottish independence as a referendum outcome. Imo it would need:

1. A > 60/40 vote for independence.

2. Certain bases or islands to remain British sovereign territory (they'll never agree)

3. Independence day to be immutably defines (and not longer than 2 years)

4. In default, Scotland will leave the UK without agreement

5. Assets and values in both directions to be clearly defined and liquidated into the agreement

6. Scotland to have its own currency at a mutually agreed date

7. Not a penny goes to Scotland from England as taxpayer input after independence.

8. They have two years from Independence in which to decide whether or not to rejoin the UK.

My advice is at your risk.
Sephiroth is offline   Reply With Quote