Thread: Brexit
View Single Post
Old 29-06-2019, 22:40   #3730
Mr K
Woke and proud !

Services: TV, Phone, BB, a wife
Mr K has a nice shiny star
Mr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny starMr K has a nice shiny star
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
General Election = choose 650 people who in turn take decisions about the government of the country for a period of time not exceeding 5 years.
Referendum = a proposition in favour or against a specific course of action.

Pardon me if I fail to see any congruency between the two, beyond the superficial similarity in marking an X on a piece of paper.

I know it brings you out in hives to be confronted with this truth, but they aren’t the same, the cyclical nature of general elections does not legitimise the demand to re-run the referendum and Parliament had the option of requiring a quorum of the entire electorate, which it decided not to exercise.

On the contrary, the nature of a referendum being to determine a course of action, it is absurd to talk about reversing the result when the action mandated by the result has yet to be implemented. Nothing has changed since 2016, except that those who always planned to try to overturn the democratic result have been working tirelessly to present the result as unachievable in order to justify their demands.
If nothing has changed why the paranoia about a vote confirming the deal (if there is one) ? Or if no deal is acceptable? Different types of deals or no deal could mean very different things.

The paranoia about another vote is because you know what the outcome would be. Not even a referendum is forever. If the people still want to leave, when they know exactly what is on offer, then fair enough. At the moment they don't know, or have any say on our type of exit. At the moment its a jump down a big black hole with Capt. Idiot at the helm.