Thread: Brexit
View Single Post
Old 29-06-2019, 22:09   #3729
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr K View Post
Is every General Election trying to overturn the democratic vote of the last GE? Things change; it's been over 3 years since the vote in which less than a third of the population voted for Brexit based on a pack of lies.
General Election = choose 650 people who in turn take decisions about the government of the country for a period of time not exceeding 5 years.
Referendum = a proposition in favour or against a specific course of action.

Pardon me if I fail to see any congruency between the two, beyond the superficial similarity in marking an X on a piece of paper.

I know it brings you out in hives to be confronted with this truth, but they aren’t the same, the cyclical nature of general elections does not legitimise the demand to re-run the referendum and Parliament had the option of requiring a quorum of the entire electorate, which it decided not to exercise.

On the contrary, the nature of a referendum being to determine a course of action, it is absurd to talk about reversing the result when the action mandated by the result has yet to be implemented. Nothing has changed since 2016, except that those who always planned to try to overturn the democratic result have been working tirelessly to present the result as unachievable in order to justify their demands.