View Single Post
Old 13-09-2020, 19:15   #9944
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
The thing is I don't underestimate them - they're a hugely profitable company with a load of resources at their disposal. However, where's the return on investment coming from? They're not a charity.

Old Boy will doubtlessly say I lack 'vision' - but the facts are they didn't bid for a single package in the first round of bidding for Premiership rights last time out. Their small packages, and this rugby, will drive Prime subscriptions at minimum cost. Lots of low hanging fruit to cash in from at Christmas.
The return on investment comes from football subscriptions, jfman, just as that is how Sky make their profit from it (+ advertising, of course).

I don't know why you are so fixated by the fact that Amazon only picked the bargain basement matches. It was their first toe in the water, and a relatively inexpensive way of judging the success of sports streaming in the UK and their ability to attract subscribers.

They were reported to be pleased with their little experiment, so it remains to be seen what will become of it. As you correctly pointed out, they have very deep pockets, so anything is possible.

---------- Post added at 19:15 ---------- Previous post was at 19:09 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunkenstein View Post
To be fair is it good business to get into a bidding war for a one off tournament? And one that can not be proven will draw subscriptions? Better reserving that money for longer term deals

---------- Post added at 14:16 ---------- Previous post was at 14:09 ----------

I would be surprised if they went big for premiership rights in the next auction - as you rightly say, how do they return that investment outside of a new subscription package? I think they’ll remain targeted but maybe make an attempt at at least one season long package.

My opinion is that if Amazon do something big in the world of sports rights, I’d be looking at the NFL in the U.S and something like taking the rights for Sunday Ticket... they can charge a premium and those deals usually run for a number of years... Directv’s last renewal was for 8 years.
I don't quite get your reasoning. Why can Sky and BT do this but not Amazon?

Last edited by OLD BOY; 13-09-2020 at 19:46.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote