View Single Post
Old 13-09-2020, 15:10   #9936
Raider999
cf.mega poster

Raider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation eraRaider999 has entered a golden reputation era
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phunkenstein View Post
To be fair is it good business to get into a bidding war for a one off tournament? And one that can not be proven will draw subscriptions? Better reserving that money for longer term deals

---------- Post added at 14:16 ---------- Previous post was at 14:09 ----------

I would be surprised if they went big for premiership rights in the next auction - as you rightly say, how do they return that investment outside of a new subscription package? I think they’ll remain targeted but maybe make an attempt at at least one season long package.

My opinion is that if Amazon do something big in the world of sports rights, I’d be looking at the NFL in the U.S and something like taking the rights for Sunday Ticket... they can charge a premium and those deals usually run for a number of years... Directv’s last renewal was for 8 years.
There current policy seems to be get cheap packages for a limited period.

It would be a big step to commit larger amounts for as long a period as 8 years - especially on a minority sport such as NFL which only runs for a limited amount of time a year. Of course it may not have to pay much to get the rights from Sky.

Their current EPL deal can be covered by people taking out a free months trial so hardly makes them much money.
Raider999 is offline   Reply With Quote