Thread: VM Router Hub 5 at no extra cost
View Single Post
Old 22-10-2021, 22:40   #60
nffc
cf.mega poster

Services: Freeview, Sky+, 100 Mb/s VM BB, mega i7 PC, iPhone 13, Macbook Air
nffc has a nice shiny star
nffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny starnffc has a nice shiny star
Re: Hub 5 at no extra cost

But it isn't (mainly) the risk from a power cut, but of the internet going down.

I get that equipping handsets with SIMs as a fall back would work fine. But how much would that tie people into VM handsets as opposed to being able to use their own, and what would be the process if these failed?

We had a day a few weeks back where our broadband was down for most of the day (about 10 hours). Whilst I could tether to my phone (and did in order to work) to get online (I have plenty of data) we could at least report the fault by phone, and around this point it was clear it wasn't just a local issue but more of an area issue. With all comms relying on the hub being online, doing that via anything but a mobile wouldn't have been possible.

Maybe the actual solution here is to equip the hubs with a mobile data backup in the event of the main connection being offline, for the primary purpose of alerting VM to the fact the hub is offline, and to allow emergency calls still?

nffc is offline   Reply With Quote