View Single Post
Old 28-01-2019, 14:01   #20
nomadking
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media TV&BB 350Mb, V6 STB
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
nomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze arraynomadking has a bronze array
Re: Holocaust Memorial Day: 'Shocking' levels of denial remain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
In 1993 I was working in Poland and went to see Schindler's List at the cinema. You actually had to book seats at all of the multiple cinemas showing it - that was the level of interest.

Anyway, coming out of the cinema, people were muttering about something; my colleague interpreted to me and said that they were complaining about why did the film only focus on Jews and not on the millions of Poles who also suffered.

What were the Jews depicted in the film if not Poles? Anti-Semitism hadn't ended then and I doubt now.
Why were the comments anti-Semitic? The film only mention the 6m Jews in the end credits. So the emphasis was on all European Jews, not just Polish Jews or Polish non-Jews.

Quote:
The Germans shot thousands of teachers, priests, and other intellectuals in mass killings in and around Warsaw, especially in the city's Pawiak prison. The Nazis sent thousands more to the newly built Auschwitz concentration camp, to Stutthof, and to other concentration camps in Germany where non-Jewish Poles constituted the majority of inmates until March 1942.
Between 1939 and 1945, at least 1.5 million Polish citizens were deported to German territory for forced labor. Hundreds of thousands were also imprisoned in Nazi concentration camps.
Calculating the numbers of individuals who were killed as the result of Nazi policies is a difficult task. It is estimated that the Germans killed between 1.8 and 1.9 million non-Jewish Polish civilians during World War II. In addition, the Germans murdered at least 3 million Jewish citizens of Poland.

Quote:
Between 1939 and 1945, nearly 2.8 million gentile Poles died at the hands of the Nazis, and 150,000 due to Soviet repressions
nomadking is offline   Reply With Quote