View Single Post
Old 07-06-2018, 23:31   #50
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
Re: [update] Santa Fe school shooting: 10 dead and 10 wounded in Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
I think you will find all those students (and all others) killed and wounded by AR-15s don’t care if it’s an automatic or semi-automatic rifle - they’re more concerned with living than descriptives.

Since an AR-15 can fire up to 120 rounds a minute, I think the difference to the victims is fairly academic.
What I find so surreal is that no one is trying to drive and emphasise the distinction between guns carried for self-defense or hunting and the military grade ones used in the more horrific mass shootings.

No-one who is rational can justify why they need a long range semi-automatic assault rifle. I mean no-one. Anyone who says that they need (not want) one is deluded and frankly needs help. As semi-automatics can be easily modified to near-full automatics via bump stops it makes the case even more compelling.

If the pro-gun voters in the US cannot understand the distinction between owning hand guns, hunting rifles & shotguns and semi automatics then, frankly, you question whether they should have any guns in the first place.

Maybe the case could be made more strongly if, after each mass shooting where semi-automatics are used, the NRA are subpoenaed before a televised, live, Senate hearing to justify to the American people why they must own such a weapon. The parents of the deceased are then offered an opportunity to cross-examine the NRA representative.