View Single Post
Old 12-10-2018, 10:55   #159
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Bakers who refused to make 'gay cake' say they felt 'victimised'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angua View Post
I just realised a long time ago there is no god.

However, I understand many people need that belief and the fellowship they get from religion. Having deeply and sincerely held views.

What I do not agree with, is the use of that religious belief to treat people differently or less favourably. Societal expectations are just as bad, with such as a caste system holding people unfairly as somehow lesser.

The idea that people who love one another should not be allowed to legally marry based on a book, or campaign to have that marriage accepted when it genuinely harms no one, I have great difficulty with.

The use of belief as reason to treat someone less favourably because of a political view, whilst agreed by the Supreme Court, also feels morally wrong.

In this case tit for tat has already started.
I’m sure Tony Xu didn’t consider the publicity angle in any way shape or form before announcing to the papers that he was withholding the Ashers’ photos. Unlike the Ashers themselves, who did not seek publicity for their actions.

I seriously doubt this is about to become a major social problem.

Also ... however much difficulty you have with people who disagree with same-sex marriage, you don’t have the right to force them to participate in its advocacy.

The price of that is that some people will refuse to do things for other people. As I said, I doubt this decision is about to cause massive social rucktions, however it is just possible that it might cause activists to think twice before trying to provoke people into doing things they can then be taken to court for.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote