Thread: General Changes to Virgin TV (2021)
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2021, 18:41   #1099
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Changes to Virgin TV (2021)

For what it's worth, I was privy to a Discovery document a few years ago that said that their ultimate aim was to move all their channels to a streaming service and just keep one linear channel to showcase what they had to offer.

Since then they have introduced FTA channels, which I doubt they would close as their only source of income is ad revenue and launched Discovery +.

I have no idea of any timescales. Eurosport wasn't mentioned, but if they did move that online, I assume it would go onto the Eurosport Player. Maybe they will eventually merge them together??

Sight of this document does make me think that what MB has been told may well be correct. However, it's important to stress that company plans can and do change. In addition, it's worth noting that it's believed that Discovery signed a long term deal with Sky. I couldn't see the Discovery channels remaining on Sky and being removed from VM because of the John Malone connection with Discovery and Virgin.

Are the Discovery channels available anywhere else apart from Sky & VM (bar their FTA channels)?

Just seen that the MB source says that they are to close their FTA channels. Anyone know what their ratings are like? If they're making money, I can't see them closing them.

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 04-08-2021 at 18:50. Reason: Added to post.