View Single Post
Old 30-07-2021, 12:02   #23
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Roku or Amazon Fire stick?

I had only just changed the wallpaper on the one in the holiday flat when it automatically switched to the Olympic theme. I hadn’t given it any thought since, so I haven’t gone looking for a menu option to switch event themes off. I probably won’t bother either, as I won’t use either of the Rokus from day to day, as one is in the spare room and the other is going in my daughters bedroom. Maybe I’ll sort it out if they complain.

There are two reasons why I bought Roku rather than Amazon to replace our obsolete Amazon Fire stick. The first is that Amazon itself is responsible for forcing obsolescence on the Fire stick. It worked perfectly well and didn’t need whatever bloated system update they have forced on it that has reduced it to a crawl. I’m not rewarding that bad faith with another purchase (even though I bought the Roku from them, as it was going extremely cheap - I have to assume that their profit margin is much higher on Fire devices). The second is that the Roku interface isn’t biased towards Roku content. With the Fire stick there isn’t an Amazon Prime app. You’re always looking at the Amazon Prime TV Home Screen, just with third party apps included in the menu. I can’t be bothered staring at Prime by default because less than 5% of the tv we stream comes from Prime.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote