Thread: Brexit (Old)
View Single Post
Old 22-01-2019, 19:21   #6801
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Brexit

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
I remember seeing this programme and talking about it the day afterwards. One elderly customer remarked that she'd overheard an immigrant on his mobile phone saying "you come to England, they pay you to have children". I remember remarking that, however unpalatable his comments were, he was telling the truth.

Presumably this is why, in most cases, people can now only claim for a maximum of two children and why the NASS system for calculating money given to asylum seekers has been reformed.

Because we aren't allowed to treat EU citizens any differently to our own population, this legislation to counter this greedy abuse of our generosity also affects those who took no part in it too.

There's a similar issue with the EHIC cards. If someone from Spain comes here, they automatically enjoy all the benefits of our NHS. When I visit Spain, however, I have to register as a temporary visitor, which often means wasting my first day hanging around a Government office. They don't rush and, even then, the cover isn't equivalent to our NHS as there are often charges to pay.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/...nt-cost-to-nhs

If we aren't recovering the costs we are entitled to then we should resolve it that way, as it seems we are paying out more to EEA countries for our tourists overseas. So again this is just a racist myth based on anecdotal accounts and an absence of evidence.

---------- Post added at 19:21 ---------- Previous post was at 19:11 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
This data is three years old, but nevertheless is still interesting to look at. I'm surprised that the EU countries expecting us to bail them out after we ourselves have had to endure nearly a decade of austerity.
If it's out of date can you explain the factors that mean reality and 2016 isn't representative of reality in 2019?

Quote:
Overall, the UK is still a magnet, otherwise why would both EU and non EU immigrants take such desperate measures to get here? Asylum seekers in particular risk their lives and pass through safe places prior to getting to the UK.
EU migrants don't claim asylum here. You are conflating two separate issues that aren't one and the same.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8504206.html

https://migrationobservatory.ox.ac.u...the-uk-asylum/

The numbers are absolutely tiny - approx 30 000 per year since 2010 and a tiny fraction of all applications across the European Union.

Quote:
The UK used to have a similar system as Denmark for cushioning the effects of unemployment, with claimants being paid an 'Earnings Related Supplement' during the initial period of their claim. The Thatcher Government abolished this in 1982.

---------- Post added at 19:09 ---------- Previous post was at 19:05 ----------

Totally agree. The main problems appear to have started when the poorer Eastern European countries were allowed to join.

If a new law was introduced that allowed anyone in a particular street to live in any of the houses (and they could not lawfully be refused access) it's obviously going to be a case of the poorer residents moving into the more affluent homes!
What an absolutely rubbish comparison. EU migration is hardly equivalent to giving out free nice houses. The vast, vast majority make a contribution to this country.