View Single Post
Old 17-08-2022, 16:19   #307
Taf
cf.mega poster

Services: TVXL BBXL Superhub 2ac (wired) 1Tb Tivo
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Taf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny starTaf has a nice shiny star
Re: Rising cost of living

I asked a friend for a washing machine part for another neighbour. He works in a parts depot that imports direct from the manufacturers abroad.

He told me, "Parts from the Far East are only trickling-in due to factory closures during the pandemic, but also because of the lack of transport containers. Second, the transport costs are far higher, and third many manufacturers are now selling to more wholesalers and distributors who are adding their profits on at a high rate than ever before".

His bosses changed their business model from one where parts were sold at the price they paid, with a mark-up and VAT where applicable, to one where parts are being sold at 15% above the price they would have to pay to replace the item, then their mark-up and VAT as applicable.

He checked his listings, and the part which would have been around £12 +VAT 2 years ago, is now £38+VAT. He told me that they normally sell a few every week to repair companies.

I had already tried a few places online whilst waiting to see him. All were about the same price, and many were far higher and had large P+P costs added.
Taf is offline   Reply With Quote