View Single Post
Old 11-09-2019, 11:18   #2178
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: PM Boris forms a government

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
Staying in will be a democratic disaster for our politics and governance which is worse than the short term challenges that no-deal exit must bring.

Boris, not known nor revered for his honesty, does at least understand what I’m saying.

Btw, I like the letter in today’s Tory graph that suggests he adds a letter to accompany the letter drafted by Labour to say that he, the UK PM did not write the other letter and it is not the UK guvmin’s policy. Cat, pigeons and indignation’s will follow. Can’t wait.
But the challenge for others is the Brexit solution for going forward is "things will be better" - high on emotion, low on detail.

The last 3 years have shown that we’re not very good at negotiating (and you can’t just blame the EU for being "obstructive" or "perfidious", because if you don’t understand/agree that other major countries will be equally, if nor more, "tough" in negotiating, I’ve got a bridge you can buy...).

I don’t live my life hoping "something magic" will make my life better, but that appears to be our Government’s current approach.

YMMV

Re your 2nd letter comment

https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/br...johnson-video/
Quote:
Lord Sumption. who retired from the 12-judge Supreme Court in 2018, strongly rejected the idea, saying it would be in breach of the law.

Asked if such a move would be legal, he told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme: “No, of course it wouldn’t. The Bill, or Act as it’s about to become, says that he’s got to apply for an extension. Not only has he got to send the letter, he’s got to apply for an extension.

“To send the letter and then try to neutralise it seems to me, plainly, is a breach of the Act. What you’ve got to realise is the courts are not very fond of loopholes.”

If Mr Johnson refused to hand over the letter Lord Sumption said: “He would be in contempt of court.

“He would I suspect have to put up with the resignation of the Justice Secretary and Attorney General and probably other members of his Cabinet.”

He also added that: “There are plenty of ways in which this kind of obligation can be enforced.”
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 11-09-2019 at 11:22.