View Single Post
Old 29-04-2021, 17:21   #10384
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: ESPN, BT, Euro, Premier and Sky Sports news

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
My thoughts below, in conclusion Disney or DAZN.
  • Amazon - not a heavy investor in sport as additional rights costs could not be covered by the Prime subscription.
  • BeIN - have reduced their investment in Europe in recent years and becoming more financially prudent. Unlikely.
  • DAZN - have recently signed up Matchroom Boxing in the UK so could be tempted to add BT's range of sports to make a full-scale sports offering. Have partnered with Telecom Italia in Italy so could be tempted to do the same with BT in the UK.
  • Discovery - would make a nice addition to Discovery + and also its Eurosport channels which are more prominent outside the UK. But traditionally financially prudent so unlikely to get into a bidding war.
  • Disney - own 80% of ESPN whose brand is licenced to BT. Would make a great addition to Disney+ and in return, could offer Disney + to BT.
  • Premier Sports - could only afford to invest if in collaboration with a financial investor so bring less to the party. Unlikely.
  • Sky - can't really see what's in it for them, apart from driving up the price for other buyers... which also has the side-effect of driving up analysts' valuations of Sky Sports.
Yes, I think you have that about right. I would only comment that Amazon would charge a premium over and above the Prime subscription, so they are certainly in the running if they want to get further into sport, which may not be their bag.

DAZN and Disney + are the most likely contenders I think, and that seems to be your view as well.