View Single Post
Old 15-09-2020, 12:22   #3919
Sephiroth
Sulking in the Corner

Services: 1 Gbps; Hub 4 MM; ASUS RT-AX88U; Ultimate VOLT. BT Infinity2; Devolo 1200AV
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Sephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny starSephiroth has a nice shiny star
Re: Brexit-Transitional Period Ends 31/12/20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
What's wrong with this is that a different system has operated for 40 years which is not the case in the other territories you mention. You simply damage people's livelihoods overnight by a drastic change and crucially, French fishermen have strong leverage.
The key is a phased change which should be negotiable by a strong UK government with skilled negotiators.
I, and a lot of others, will have serious issues with what you've written.

First, as a Brit, you shouldn't be siding with the other side's fishermen. It's their problem In any case, for the past 40 years, our fishing communities have suffered.

I suspect that it is we who have the leverage, No deal, no fish. So sod 'em if the EU persists on its current line.

Phased change? No problem - seems reasonable.

---------- Post added at 12:22 ---------- Previous post was at 12:20 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1andrew1 View Post
I think there's also been a deliberate positioning of necessary stock management in order to cultivate anti-EU sentiment. I more than appreciate that Brexit is not about economics.
Obviously, fishing impacts small areas quite dramatically which is why it does not make sense for French fishermen for the switch to be turned off overnight but to ensure a managed change to a new system or for British fishermen to lose access to the markets where most of its catches are sold.
First half of the sentence, fairness to French fishermen should not be your worry.

Second half of the sentence - reasonable so long as it's matched by ground given by the EU.

My advice is at your risk.