View Single Post
Old 02-09-2008, 23:34   #23
BexTech
Inactive

Services: Virgin Media Cable TV (1TB Tivo) & Net, 120cm motorized satellite system.
BexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really niceBexTech is just really nice
Re: Using my virgin mobile overseas

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickendippers View Post
The + should automatically be converted into the appropriate international dialling code for the region that you're in. I had no problems making calls in Greece at Easter.
It should be automatically converted, however in the USA for some reason it doesn't always work - why? I don't know, I just know it's a known issue.

Greece is in Europe which uses 00 and not in the USA where the problem arises from time to time. That's why when in Greece you didn't have a problem, because Greece hasn't suddenly become part of the USA and uses their system.

I've never had a problem and my numbers have always been entered in +44, +34 etc format ever since owning a mobile phone back in the dark ages, but then I've not bothered going to the USA.

---------- Post added at 23:34 ---------- Previous post was at 23:33 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iadom View Post
That doesn't explain why it didn't work on all of the European networks, I got the welcome text message every time I went into a different country, but could not dial out in any of them.

The only time I was on the American network was when we were at sea.
One of the calls I received was whilst at sea on the ships own network.

A bit of a bozo question here. Phone is a Nokia N73, when I enter a number direct from the keypad and press the */+ button it always enters a * so if I dial +44 it comes up on the screen as *44, could this be the cause of the problem, if so how do I get the keypad to enter a +.
That could well be the reason.

Misread your post at first, thought it was just using the 'USA' ship where there was the issue.

You need to either press * twice quickly or hold the * down until the + symbol comes up.

You would have been dialling *44.... and not +44.....
BexTech is offline   Reply With Quote