View Single Post
Old 08-02-2019, 23:19   #558
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
This all sounds dangerously close to the Eleven Sports model. Pray and hope an existing platform will offer you the oxygen to survive.

Your own link earlier today suggested people were at the end of their tether with increasing costs and less content.
This post of yours does not make sense to me. What exactly has this to do with Eleven Sports? I think you need to explain this.

People are indeed fed up with paying so much for all those linear channels when there is so often nothing to watch.

Giving people the opportunity of watching so much good content via low cost subscription VOD services is the answer to this.

Things will move on. Consider the current system of conventional TV channels, which costs a small fortune for little good content, with all the stuff available on Netflix, Amazon, etc. In the future there will be no linear TV channels in the conventional sense, so you can exclude that cost.

How do you work out that this is a retrograde step? Please be explicit, because genuinely, I am not sure where you are coming from.

If you subscribe to Netflix, Prime and the Now TV entertainment and cinema passes, you are only shelling out less than £40 quid a month. Compare that with what we are currently paying out for cable/Sky channels now with little on that is worthwhile watching.

I think your emphasis is on sport, and I have not really addressed this in any detail. I would like to be more explicit about this, but sport is a much more complicated factor. However, in the end, I do think that normal competition forces will sort this out. Sky have been quite restrictive in terms of which platforms can watch their exclusive content. Although this draws sports fans to their platform, it ignores those who wish to view these events on other platforms. Media competitors such as Amazon and Disney can break down these barriers, which will increase viewership and increase revenues. Sky do recognise this fallibility in their approach, which explains the recent deal they have agreed with BT.

This is a rapidly changing environment and those that insist that the status quo will be maintained are not coming to terms with the changes that are about to engulf us all.

You can ignore this if you like, but I don't know why you would! Future developments are so much more exciting. Just look at the trends, man! You know it makes sense!