View Single Post
Old 31-07-2004, 14:28   #386
Stop It
Inactive

Services: VM Vivid 200 VM XL TV & Sky Sports VM Phone
Stop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of societyStop It is a pillar of society
Re: [Merged] BB Speed Upgrades

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianathuth
The point that I was making was that doing upgrades over the weekend and having extra staff in at that time would have made more customers happy by giving them their upgrades sooner. It would also spread the workload for customer services / technical support over a longer period rather than concentrate it in the evening period of the day that the upgrade was done.
It would make even more sense to phase the upgrade, so the tech support can better cope, if anything unexpected happens, like UBR failiures, server failiures, or worse, they would be better prepared to sort it if they only had a small part of the network to sort, rather than all of it

Quote:
I appreciate that many people like their wekends off but a one off situation where they forego the weekend off for the sake of the business is not too much to ask. It isn't as if major speed upgrades will be happening on a regular basis, is it?
YOU tell the stressed out, worn out workers that, and see the response, weekends are manned at ntl, just not as much, you cant expect people to forgo their weekends, to be fair they are humans too, honest :p

Quote:
It has always puzzled me how a large company offering all its products 24/7/365 doesn't support them 24/7/365. You should never have to call NTL and get a recorded message saying that the offices are closed and asking you to call back the next day or after the weekend.
Simple reason, cost, NTL arent rich, (terminally in debt actually) and it would be far too costly, waiting a few hours overnight to be helped isnt that bad, and where an engineer is needed, you would still have to wait until they can be booked.

Quote:
I appreciate all the work that has gone into giving these free speed updates and as far as I'm concerned it doesn't really matter if it's done today or next week. What does bug me is that NTL are more interested in the balance sheet than in providing a full 24/7 customer care service to support 24/7 products. Customers are the life blood of every business and they deserve to be looked after. It makes me sick to see some of the well known, very helpful NTL associates that contribute to this site being given the redundancy push. Any senior NTL officer worth his / her salt would be keeping an eye on these forums and would make damn sure they retained the services of all the associates helping on here.
NTL are a commercial enterprise, they are existant to MAKE MONEY, customer services, is very important, within reason, but NTL's fiirst concern is to be profitiable, and then to provide decent service, you can agree or disagree with NTL's mothods, but to say they should put customer service over profit, is naive unfortunatly.

About the redundancies, its not that simple, NTL are performing a relocation / downsizing by the looks of things (Mainly to coventry?) to save costs etc, redundancies are never good, but its not clever to speculate on the validity of them.