View Single Post
Old 12-05-2008, 00:11   #6352
BadPhormula
cf.addict

BadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enoughBadPhormula will become famous soon enough
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77, 102 & 797]

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHanff View Post
Firstly Tor is not secure, a proven fact that has been reported on several times.

Secondly even if it was secure, it doesn't fix the problem. Sure you can go and use Tor and your surfing will be "safer" and maybe 0.01% of the UK broadband population who are tech savvy enough to know about Tor might be too. But what about the millions of others out there, are we to just forget about them and only look after our own interests? And of course if a significant number of people start using Tor, how long do you think it will be until commercial organisations start setting up Tor exit nodes and harvest everything going through it in pretty much the same way Phorm are doing right now? It simply offsets the problems for a little, and it certainly isn't a wakeup call.

That isn't what I am about, my ISP won't be using Phorm or similar technologies so I have no personal threats to my privacy from Phorm, my involvement in this entire issue is to try and help to protect the 10s of millions who are not so lucky, not so technically minded and not so aware of the issues.

Alexander Hanff

You're right there are 10s of millions of potential victims for Phorm(and Phormlikes) and these people may not be able to defend themselves with a raft load of encryption techniques many of us take for granted. But end-to-end encryption is secure and reliable via SSL/TLS and it is very simple to use and built into most browsers. People need to be educated in the value of their privacy and what reliable systems they can use to secure that privacy, because when Phorm is defeated there will be another threat along similar line to Phorm just around the corner. More servers need to adopt HTTPS as standard until such a point there will be nothing left for Phormlikes to read.

So if you like the problem isn't the clients side, it is the server side. Eventually people that run servers will move over to HTTPS because there client/customer/readership will demand it.