View Single Post
Old 30-10-2008, 10:39   #35
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
re: Doctor Who : 2008 & 2009 Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Darker and more serious isn't going to happen - they're committed to the Saturday evening family audience. The new executive producer who will have to work with a new Doctor is Stephen Moffatt, who has written some brilliant stuff including 'Silence in the Library' last season. He knows how to scare the pants off the kids, but his stories are still pitched firmly at the family.
That's the problem Steven Moffatt faces. He will be in charge of a series that is supposed to be slightly scary, but still for Kids.

In fairness, it has often achieved that (particularly with Moffat's stories). I personally found "The Empty Child/The Doctor Dances" and "Blink" to be more scary than a lot of adult horror films, although that is probably because most of the modern ones (SAW etc) seem to rely on gore rather than a scary storyline.

Still, I do remember Clive Barker explaining how he was able to move to being apparently a successful children's author from writing horrors. He said that both require similar amounts of imagination, and much more imagination than most books.

BTW, I have created a thread for discussion of who people want to be the next doctor at http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/23...l#post34664802. I think discussing it in this thread might confuse things too much.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote