View Single Post
Old 24-11-2019, 18:59   #8
RWCable
cf.member

Services: Virgin Media TiVo / Broadband / Somehow still the landline
RWCable is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Trying to run coax cable from outside for Freeview - need advice

Hi guys I've been very lucky, I've successfully ran the cable through.

Due to awkward outside wall (tiny gap between UPVC window frame and concrete where hole is), I couldn't get any rigid piece of metal through from inside to out.

But from outside I inserted a bit of washing line cable (rigid enough) and pulled it in from inside using a small pair of tweezers.

I got some test coax and removed one brass claw connector and taped that end to the washing line from inside.

Went outside again and pulled the coax outside successfully (hole seems big enough at least for this coax).

Many thanks for your advice here!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveeb View Post
Are you using waterproof/weatherproof coax ?
@daveeb I don't think so. It's 25m of Nexan's "High Quality" RG6 from Screwfix. Plan is to run an indoor antenna with coax through one more accessible hole in the wall in another room, outside, to the difficult hole in the wall I've just gained access to.

Shouldn't matter should it? (Though I understand the cheaper material in cables that purport to be RG6 can be more susceptible to interference).

I thought only the connectors needed to be weatherproofed if one is attached to an outside antenna? In this case the only thing leading outside is the long coax cable itself, no connectors. Please correct me if I'm wrong I'll be happy to get weatherproof stuff if needed

Many thanks again

Last edited by RWCable; 24-11-2019 at 19:11.
RWCable is offline   Reply With Quote