View Single Post
Old 13-03-2019, 19:56   #659
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Sports is completely different , the streamers can do what they want but at the end of the day it's the rights holders calling the shots.
And you think the Premier League will refuse a multiple billion pound bid from Amazon for global rights?

Look, I'm not saying that this is going to happen any time soon, but clearly Amazon have shown their hand and are interested in sports. So for this country, if they were to bid for more premiership packages in the future, they will bundle sports into other things like free delivery, music streaming etc. How long could Sky/Comcast and BT compete against that?

Next step would be global competitions, Olympics and the World Cup come to mind here. Do you really think FIFA would reject a massive offer from Amazon for global rights? We know what FIFA are like with regards to feathering their own nests...

And lastly, would be the global rights to domestic events like the Premier League. Its rising in popularity in America and already has millions of viwers in Asia. It's a potential gold mine for a global streamer.

---------- Post added at 19:56 ---------- Previous post was at 19:53 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysabear View Post
I don't think one Company could afford the risk. The Worldwide rights just for Premier League would break the bank and would not be allowed by the authorities.
Amazon and Apple are trillion dollar companies and no doubt, Google and Microsoft not far behind.

Why would the authorities get involved?