View Single Post
Old 27-02-2019, 19:07   #624
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
That, as always, is an up to speed. What would happen if every one of those enabled homes simultaneously tried to utilise even 10Mbps, streaming to 2 or 3 devices? The reality of an entirely IP delivered TV system is that greater than 99% of all homes will need access to broadband that can deliver a minimum of 24Mbps, constantly, at all times of day.
That's a good point, Chris, but I'm sure they will have thought about that.I expect the answer is that in practice, you would not get 100% of households using all that capacity at the same time. As demand increases, so will capacity.

There are those who complained quite vociferously that relying on wind and solar power would lead to problems during the winter by now. Hasn't happened, though, because there are back up systems in place. Similarly, as streaming increases, so will capacity.

---------- Post added at 19:07 ---------- Previous post was at 19:04 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Happy to be corrected if so, but the report I read did appear to indicate that is the minimum speed homes could expect to get (assuming they pick the premium products available at their exchange or are served by Virgin Media).

I don't believe an all streaming future is credible for a number of reasons which I've posted at length about. However, I don't accept that Amazon or anyone else isn't able to offer a premium product including Premiership rights because the internet speeds aren't fast enough to support it. Such a product wouldn't require 2 or 3 connections at once per household in the same way as an all streaming future would.

You are correct though - the barrier to have multiple screens showing different content in HD and UHD will mean that for some time traditional broadcast methods over satellite and cable will be the used.
Things will look very different in 15 years' time and solutions will be found to the capacity issues that you envisage now.