View Single Post
Old 16-02-2019, 15:26   #1
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Trump invokes "Emergency Powers" to build border wall

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-46784315

Quote:
US President Donald Trump plans to make use of emergency powers to secure funding for his proposed US-Mexico border wall.

Invoking a national emergency could enable Mr Trump to bypass Congress and access military funds and resources. But what are these emergency powers, and is using them that simple?

What exactly is a state of emergency?

A state of emergency is usually declared in times of national crisis. In this case, Mr Trump has claimed there is a migration crisis on the US-Mexico border.

Declaring a national emergency gives the president "access to special powers that are contained in more than 100 other laws", said Elizabeth Goitein, co-director of the Brennan Center's Liberty and National Security Program.

Those powers effectively allow the president to bypass the usual political process.
https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...19-2?r=US&IR=T
Quote:
IT'S OFFICIAL: Trump declares national emergency to build his border wall

President Donald Trump on Friday declared a national emergency to address issues with border security and unilaterally build barriers along significant portions of the United States' border with Mexico.

The action, which ventures into new territory to circumvent Congress and redirect military funding for other purposes, has drawn condemnation and confusion from lawmakers in both political parties.

Trump made the announcement in the White House's Rose Garden, saying: "I'm going to be signing a national emergency. It's been signed many times before."

"They say walls don't work," Trump said. "Walls work 100% of the time."
Quote:
In a conference call with reporters before the announcement, senior administration officials detailed the plan, saying that in addition to the $1.4 billion for barrier construction appropriated by Congress, about $6 billion would be taken from Title 10 funding and $600 million would be tapped from the Treasury's forfeiture fund.

A senior administration official said the construction would follow the same design as the one appropriated by Congress, using a steel bollard wall instead of concrete or other prototype walls.
I think Trump may not have helped his case, if it is legally challenged, because he said in yesterday's press conference
Quote:
“I could do the Wall over a longer period of time - I didn’t need to do this, but I’d rather do it much faster,”
Full text of the speech here

Let me make it clear that the on-topic areas for discussion are the "Emergency Powers" and "The Wall", as they are inextricably linked.

Items such as the Mueller Investigation, or any other investigations by State Attorneys, are off-topic and will be removed, and if repeated, fracked.
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.
Hugh is offline   Reply With Quote