View Single Post
Old 02-02-2019, 16:24   #539
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I think that what you are missing is the fact that we don't need to reduce the amount of viewing on linear channels to 0% before they are abandoned. A big shift in linear TV viewing has already happened and the number of hours people are spending watching on demand programming and streaming is continuing to increase. We are reaching a point at which conventionally broadcast channels will start closing down in significant numbers.

By the way, yet another report on this which notes that we are closer than ever to the 'inflection point'. Well within the period I have set out in my prediction.

https://advanced-television.com/2019...tipping-point/
I’m fairly confident that, due to confirmation bias, you will be able to dig up a similar article from a digital marketing company every other month between now and 2035.

I’m not missing any facts because you aren’t presenting any!

If you read the key details of the article this ‘inflection point’ relates to the cost effectiveness of advertising on television and return on investment. Like any market it will react accordingly and the cost of advertising on television will fall. Bad news for anyone solely reliant upon TV advertising (which I’ve never contested).

There’s nothing in there about how streaming eliminates linear TV altogether by 2035, or any other date.

Some programming suits linear television because it encourages participation with social media. Despite DVRs being near universal people still work to the TV schedule. There’s no explanation about how it moves across/incentivises people without broadband, or who at face value appear to just sit down pick something on now from their EPG.

There’s no indication at all that linear channels are ready to close in significant numbers as you put it.

As an aside: Sky Movies Comedy HD is showing Groundhog Day all day today. Every one hour and forty five minutes from 6am until 6.30am tomorrow. Some of these showings will get virtually (or perhaps actually) zero viewers. An efficient use of bandwidth? No, but bandwidth is cheap. If you own the content a gimmick like this costs next to nothing. The same principle applies to linear TV with a mixed funding model.

Last edited by jfman; 02-02-2019 at 17:07.