View Single Post
Old 24-01-2019, 13:54   #532
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
The BBC is planning for an environment in which linear channels will have ceased broadcasting - that is the period 2028-2038. My prediction is based on 2035, so what's your point? Why must you have an exact date? I'm sorry, but I think you are being argumentative for the sake of it.

I am not saying at all that the linear TV audience will shrink to zero, that's you saying that. What I have said, consistently, is that audiences will eventually reach a level where it ceases to be economic or worthwhile to run them. You seem to be ignoring completely the ITV crisis of a few years ago, when the advertisement funding stream was drying up due to the lack of commercials. That's how fragile the whole system is.
Yet ITV survived the crisis.

The key part you (and your digital marketing sources) persistently fail to demonstrate is ceases to be economic or worthwhile. That level is tiny for someone who already owns and distributes the content via other means.