Thread: Home WiFi woes
View Single Post
Old 01-10-2021, 17:10   #12
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Home WiFi woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I bought the 9020 version which is up to 2gig

---------- Post added at 17:02 ---------- Previous post was at 17:01 ----------

Check the model before you buy, as some may not work on your set up
It seems quite difficult to get the higher spec extenders as add ons - they only seem interested in selling starter kits, which is kind of annoying. For future proofing I’d rather have a gigabit setup with dual band WiFi but while I can easily buy a TP-Link AV1000 starter kit, I don’t seem to be able to buy additional single WPA-7517 units.

I’m not too worried about extending into the rooms covered by the secondary consumer unit because if I can even put one of these in the space next to the dining room (which has sockets on the primary consumer unit) then the WiFi extension signal will be more than adequate. I’m not too worried about the rest of it because I’m finding most contributors on places like Amazon don’t seem to understand what terms like ‘ring’ or ‘circuit’ actually mean, and are tying themselves in knots when trying to explain what works and what doesn’t.

A setup like this would be pretty useless if it could only work between sockets on the same ring - if you only have one socket ring in your house the chances are it’s small enough not to have any WiFi black spots in the first place. The usefulness of these is pretty much predicated on them being able to feed off a router located downstairs on one socket ring and provide service to an extender in the far corner of an upstairs bedroom.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote