View Single Post
Old 10-06-2022, 09:33   #4118
ianch99
cf.mega poster

ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
ianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze arrayianch99 has a bronze array
Re: Britain outside the EU

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbxx View Post
A high skill, high wage economy is a noble aim but there is a problem - who does the low wage, low skill jobs? This has been a problem since the Blair years where many more people went to university and got those high skills and corresponding high wages. We were told to get an education or we would be flipping burgers. The problem is now who is going to flip the burgers?

EU immigration was a useful sticking plaster that covered this gap and (whisper it quietly) successive governments were quite happy to let this continue, especially as EU immigrants were the only personal net contributors to UK taxation over the period of their life in the UK.

Education in this country seems to be doing well in doing more vocational courses. My eldest has just picked her A levels but the choices for vocational education looked really good too. However, there needs to be a sea change in how jobs like building, care, etc. are seen in this country. In Germany, these jobs aren't seen as jobs for people not smart enough to get higher education but true vocations in themselves. I am not sure sure careers are so well respected in the UK
Really good points esp. about societal respect for non-academic careers. As I mentioned before, this country is not structured for the same career journey an Electrician might have in Germany for example. The class system we have here demands that people like Electricians, Builders, Plumbers, etc are labelled as "Working Class" and should be treated as such.

The high profit, low wage economy we are moving further towards is inconsistent with the high wage, high skill PR pitch. You look at the graduates leaving Uni and trying to find jobs and tell me most get high wage jobs. Not in my experience they don't esp. if they are not skilled in the "right" ones. Got an Arts degree? Good luck ..

---------- Post added at 09:33 ---------- Previous post was at 09:32 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephiroth View Post
A sound analysis, above. Again, we are being offered sound bites (high skill/high wage) by that liar Boris but no prospect of achieving it because there is no structural plan.
An exact précis