View Single Post
Old 29-02-2008, 17:16   #309
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
Re: Virgin Media Phorm Webwise Adverts [Updated: See Post No. 1, 77 & 102]

also its a doc file (not everyone uses MS OS or word) and not a plain text file or PDF for easy printing.

---------- Post added at 17:16 ---------- Previous post was at 16:56 ----------

as a side note (or perhaps not) Mick it also says in part this:
"
For users who don't opt out, the way the system works is much more clear (see "Active mode" slide). Hit a link in your browser and the HTTP request will be intercepted by the ACE and rerouted to Phorm's Anonymiser. Having hijacked the request, the Anonymiser can then set a tracking cookie, which it keeps hold of.

Without a response, the browser resubmits its request for the web page you want to visit. It is again rerouted to Phorm, but only as far as the F5 hardware, which bounces it on to the website you originally wanted, but also sends a copy of the request to Phorm's profiler kit"

why do i bring this up ,well remember the VM STM upload allowance, it appears that the Phorm kit will force you to send at least two page requests per page weather you are opted-in or opted-out.

not a problem ,EXCEPT the VM STM counts every single bit of data sent and that includes all the internal VM network data you send too.

its true, i personly tested the STM a while back when it first began, by uploading/downloaded to/from nothing but my VM internal personal website and the internal VM linux FTP server etc, and the STM kicked in as expected when my data allowance went over, even though not one single bit went outside the VM internal network.

so in relation to VM at least, every extra data stream you are forced to re-send due to the Phorm internal VM kit is taking your already limited upload limit away faster...