Thread: basestation
View Single Post
Old 14-10-2019, 19:02   #3
Uncle Peter
81-82-83-84

Services: Vivid 200, Full House, V6 x2
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Uncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny starUncle Peter has a nice shiny star
Re: basestation

Quote:
Originally Posted by baz View Post
Hi guys
just wondering if anyone listens to vhf/uhf/sw etc on a basestation, what do you use and arial/ antenna etc
Yes I usually monitor the HFGCS and Russian Strategic Air Force frequencies on HF in addition to the civil and military air bands on VHF and UHF.

For HF Listening I use a couple of dedicated amateur band antennas which work well on receive across the entire HF band with a pretty low noise floor:

40m End Fed Half Wave with the far end up at 75ft sloping down to a homebrew matching network bolted to a fence post at the back of the garden. Being a sloper it is slightly directional.

20m Delta Loop suspended between my tower and 2 trees in the front garden (with a little help from a DJI drone )

On the higher bands there's a couple of homebrew J-Poles for the civil and military air bands near the top of the tower. They are simply made from copper pipe and elbow joints.

The main radios are off the shelf amateur transceivers: Yaesu FT1000MP MK V and Kenwood TS480HX for HF and a Yaesu FT847 for VHF/UHF
Uncle Peter is offline   Reply With Quote