View Single Post
Old 17-01-2018, 17:11   #20
BenMcr
Virgin Media Staff

Services: 360 x2, Maxit TV, Sky Sports and Sky Cinema. Gig1
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
BenMcr has a pair of shiny starsBenMcr has a pair of shiny stars
Re: France to loan Britain the Bayeux Tapestry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kursk View Post
Celts are British. English are Germanic.
My point was that even the Celts came from somewhere else, even if they have been on the Islands longer than the Anglo-Saxons.

Considering most of the British Isles were under miles of ice at one point, everyone here will have ancestors who came from somewhere else. No-one will be 'native' to the UK.

The current thinking is that any populations that were around after the Ice Age were replaced by the 'Beaker people' who were migrants (or invaders) from Europe:

https://www.nature.com/news/ancient-...ritain-1.21996

Quote:
If true, this suggests that Britain’s Neolithic farmers (who left behind massive rock relics, including Stonehenge) were elbowed out by Beaker invaders. “To me, that’s definitely surprising,” says Pontus Skoglund, a population geneticist at Harvard Medical School in Boston, Massachusetts, who was not involved in the research. “The people who built Stonehenge probably didn’t contribute any ancestry to later people, or if they did, it was very little.”

Last edited by BenMcr; 17-01-2018 at 17:15.
BenMcr is offline   Reply With Quote