View Single Post
Old 15-12-2018, 22:48   #4851
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

The fact that Netflix has just forked out $100m for the rights to show Friends for another year, illustrates the value that some older content does have.

In my opinion, the satellite/cable channels have greatly devalued older shows by their poor scheduling decisions. I expect the streamers in the future to behave more like terrestrial broadcasters and signpost certain older shows when similar new stuff becomes available.

We don't know the impact on Netflix yet on the loss of Disney/Fox content and whether the other Hollywood companies will also pull their stuff from the streamer.

Make the most of watching everything under one roof while it lasts, as in the near future we may need several streaming services to provide us with what we essentially get from Netflix today.

---------- Post added at 22:48 ---------- Previous post was at 22:00 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppetman11 View Post
Funny people keep mentioning about Sky losing content even though it’s parent company are predicted along with Disney to dominate global content spending.
Link
It's mixing two different things here.

Sky, as you know full well, is currently a pay tv company as well as a broadband and mobile provider.

Having your parent company be America's largest cable company as well as owning one of the major Hollywood studios, is a major advantage for Sky, no doubt about that at all. But if other companies remove their content from Sky's pay tv platform, that will have a massive negative impact on Sky's current pay tv service.

Comcast will use the Sky brand and resources to launch streaming services into as many countries as it can and I believe this is Sky's future, as a global streamer competing against Netflix, Disney et all, rather than as a traditional pay tv platform.

Last edited by Horizon; 15-12-2018 at 22:51.