View Single Post
Old 27-07-2018, 20:22   #11
Kushan
FORMER Virgin Media Staff

Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Kushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appealKushan has a bronzed appeal
Re: Virgin Media Broadband - Change IP ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaker17 View Post
I simply wish to change my IP.

How can I do that please without creating any problems ?

A web link gave this -
"Click Start->Run, type cmd and press Enter. Type ipconfig /release at the prompt window, press Enter, it will release the current IP configuration. Type ipconfig /renew at the prompt window, press Enter, wait for a while, the DHCP server will assign a new IP address for your computer."

Is this correct, easy and safe ?

I cut the power to my computer for 10 minutes - same IP
This won't work.

As others have said, the *best* way to get a new IP address is to switch to Modem mode (if you're not already IN modem mode). If you're in Modem mode it's trivial, just change the Mac address of the router plugged into it.

This is harder if you're in router/gateway mode as the Mac address is the router side of the Hub itself and you cannot change that. However, this *might* work, this technique is a little-known one that fixes an issue whereby you've changed the Mac address too many times and the UBR is no longer handing you new IP's - it flushes the DHCP cache for your CPE (in other words, you should get a new IP). I haven't tested it on a hub, but it used to work with the modems. Follow the steps exactly.

Power off the hub.
Unscrew the coax cable.
Power the hub back on.
Leave it alone for a few minutes (give it a good 5mins).
Without powering off the hub, screw the coax back in.
Leave it another few minutes (it will eventually come back online).

Check your IP.
Kushan is offline   Reply With Quote