Old 13-06-2018, 10:29   #4
Mythica
cf.geek

Mythica has reached the bronze age
Mythica has reached the bronze ageMythica has reached the bronze age
Re: Carphone Warehouse data breach

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Well, the highly bureaucratic GDPR only came into force last month, Den.

---------- Post added at 08:28 ---------- Previous post was at 08:20 ----------

I bought a phone from them a few years ago and later that same day I had someone contact me alleging they were from Carphone Warehouse saying that they had a better deal on the insurance than I had been offered. They made a point of telling me what phone I had bought (they said this several times) and read out to me some of my personal details, all designed to reassure me they were who they said they were. Then they asked for my date of birth and my mother's maiden name, at which point the strangeness of the whole conversation dawned on me. It was clearly a scam and I terminated the call.

The fact that these people had all these details about my purchase indicated to me that this was an inside job, although it could have been a hack. I was unnerved enough by this experience to vow never to use them again, and I have used Virgin Mobile ever since.

My point in relating this is I think Carphone Warehouse may have had security issues for some years and the problem is worse than it would first appear.
It was likely not a scam and some part of CPW offering deals.
Mythica is offline   Reply With Quote