View Single Post
Old 24-12-2019, 19:51   #34
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: BBC licence fee to be reviewed by Conservatives

Quote:
Originally Posted by adzii_nufc View Post
Because a majority now aren't.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-44862598

With the exception of Now TV, Netflix and Amazon are running riot, producing original content at a much faster rate than the BBC.

So we'll do the BBC's £150 a year to Netflix's £143 (Most expensive tier) and Amazon's £80-£40 if you're a student. For the sake of the hundreds of channels of crap argument we'll tally in IMDB's top list with 100,000 votes or more, this tends to be an up to date list, we're not comparing stuff made 30 years ago. They're voting on how good it is, not how much its worth.

BBC - 4 original shows listed from 133
Amazon - 3 Original shows listed + 3 rated shows available.
Netflix - 14 Original shows listed + 16 rated shows listed. Region locked shows excluded. The Witcher excluded.

So not only are they outproducing, they're also by opinion higher rated.

Basing the licence fee on argument on BBC vs Sky in 2019 is silly, It's very much Streaming Services vs Live services with the mixture of the two, You can have your streaming services but need a TV licence to flick through freeview even if you don't touch the BBC, There's still going to be some form of live viewing. As suggested, let people vote with their wallet. Shouldn't have a problem keeping the cash rolling in from the UK public if given the choice? Except it's very clear where they'll put the cash. As said before, I'd bail out, I'm paying the BBC to watch Live football and boxing, none of which they actually show. We're in a completely new era of content now and how it's delivered, watching live television is declining, a generation is fading away and we're well into the IPTV-On demand generation. Probably worth adding that iPlayer gets a thrashing by both Netflix and Amazon in the UK.
The problem with the BBC iPlayer is that everything on there (apart from the live streaming) has been shown already. Most people want original programming, whereas the iPlayer is a glorified catch-up service.

---------- Post added at 19:51 ---------- Previous post was at 19:46 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by denphone View Post
OB has no real understanding of the licence fee and all its services and value it brings to millions in this country.
So if I disagree with you, Den, it's because I don't understand?

Anyone would think I was suggesting that the BBC was abolished. I am not. I am simply saying that if you don't watch the Beeb's channels, the iPlayer, radio and also do not make use of their website, you should not have to pay for it.

This should not be so controversial - it should be common sense. We no longer live in the mid-20th century.
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote