Thread: General IP ver 6 testing?
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2018, 10:41   #8
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: IP ver 6 testing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hom3r View Post
I guess the SH3 does.
afaik all the shub's do and many many devices have for many years

Quote:
My Asus RT-N66U supports it as does my Xbox 1
if your 3rd party router supports ipv6 (which it most certainly will) then it doesn't matter whether the shub does or not because it is only the "router" you need to worry about.

Quote:
Can/will both IPv4 & IPv6 be used at the same time?
ish. As far as you are concerned you will have an ipv6 address but the isp will have hardware in place which can convert it to an ipv4 address as it enters and leaves the network to services which do not support ipv6

Quote:
What is the benefit other than more addresses?
encryption for starters but the primary benefit is addresses. In my house there are 3 smart phones, 3 tablets, two sky boxes, two printers, two pcs, two laptops, two tvs, 2 bluray players, dvd player, 2 media players and 2 NAS servers which are all networked. I haven't got round to networked fridges and all that stuff yet but ipv6 isn't about giving isps more addresses so they can have more customers, it is about letting every device on the planet having a globally routable ip address.

If you are into your networking and already have a solid understanding of ip addresses and how data is transmitted across a network then these are good videos to watch.

I strongly recommend anyone who has an interest in ipv6 to at least watch the first one to get a basic understanding. There is some stuff you might not have heard of before wand will go over your head but you'll get the gist of it.

The three combined are about 45 mins but they are well worth the watch and you'll appreciate why ipv6 is so much better (and most people won't know or care why) and why isps and businesses need a period of transition.

Last edited by General Maximus; 12-02-2018 at 10:45.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote