View Single Post
Old 20-12-2012, 16:25   #1
beanie
Inactive

Services: 100Mbs Broadband
beanie is an unknown quantity at this point
Network Hostname - Details

Hello,

I would like to ask a few questions about the Hostnames that are in use on the virgin network. I understand that im not allowed to post any user specific details, so I have replaced any information that directly identifies me with [number]. Due to the question I do need to post as much info as possible, if I have posted too much info then (admin) please delete / comment as required.

My Host Name - cpc28-sutt4-2-0-cust[number].19-1.cable.virginmedia.com - 82.37.177.[number]
Virgin Gateway - cpc28-sutt4-2-0-gw.19-1.cable.virginmedia.com 82.37.177.1

My understanding is that I am on UBR 4 in Sutton Coldfield (west midlands) which is shown in my host name as 'sutt4'. Im guessing CPC is an abbriviation for Customer Premise Card, it looks like 'gw' is an abbriviation for Gateway. What do the other bits mean? cust[number] I guess means im the Xth customer on the UBR.

I know a UBR is a Universal Broadband Router... Are they actually in the area specified or do they just handle the traffic for the area specified.

I guess this must be close to what is in use: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/...209/index.html

Sorry for all the questions and I hope I have not broken any rules. Im a web developer and im fascinated to know more about the virgin network

David
beanie is offline   Reply With Quote